Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Recipe: Kale Salad

I jumped on the super duper trendy bandwagon of kale awhile back. I am not always the best about eating my veggies, and kale is super healthy. I did not realize though that many (if not most), eat kale cooked, as I had been eating it exclusively raw. While totally ok to do so, I don't think I will ever go back. Slightly wilting the kale first makes it super tender, and as a side bonus it also becomes the most vivid shade of green.

Doing it is simple - I put a fairly deep pan on the stove on medium, and add a little water. Then put in the raw, washed kale (it is ok if it is wet, and in fact probably works better at allowing the kale to slightly cook a bit faster).

For me, if the pan is already hot, it takes maybe 60-90 seconds for all of the leaves to turn the richest green you have ever seen.That is when I usually take it off the heat and transfer into a bowl to cool. I usually do two big batches like the ones in the picture for about three salads worth.

After that, all you need to do is let it cool, add whatever to it you like, and eat. I roasted up some yellow squash to go into it, just roasted for 40 minutes in a baking pan with olive oil and some Mrs. Dash (I try to avoid adding salt, as most dressings offer plenty of flavor). Then I mixed it with some chipotle ranch dressing because obviously this was looking way too healthy. I still have enough salad for about two more salads, and I will likely roast up some broccoli tomorrow to add into it too. Other toppings I enjoy are hard boiled egg, grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, marinated mushrooms, shredded/crumbled cheese...pretty much anything that can go on a salad. Plus, easily portable too, and is likely to become a feature in the student teaching lunchbox. Nomnom.

No comments:

Post a Comment