Sunday, August 17, 2014

First Impression Face

It is no secret that I love me some beauty products. I am not the type to wear makeup every day, as I am a firm believer in using makeup to enhance, and boost confidence, but not to feel uncomfortable without it at any point. I wear makeup most days I see people right now, because I have had a fairly solitary summer, but something tells me that a few weeks into student teaching I will be bare faced more often than not.

I met my teacher this past week for my first placement and I have to say, a LOT of my anxiety has fallen away. She seems really knowledgeable and relaxed, and is a lot of fun. I spent two afternoons helping her set up the room and chatting, getting to know each other, and getting to know the school/classroom. This coming week I plan to go again at least once, as well as attend the fourth grade open house for parents. I feel like when I walk into my seminar next week I will feel very ahead of the curve. I am planning the first social studies project on continents and countries and states and such, reviewing the differences, and am putting up the welcome bulletin board (though due to incredible lack of artistry, it will likely be the most unoriginal board ever). My second placement teacher has yet to get back to me but I heard that a classmate had her last fall for pre student teaching and loved her, so overall I am feeling very lucky indeed.

Before meeting my teacher, I wanted to feel my very best. I love wearing brighter, smokier, and generally very visible makeup. But in a professional situation, I am also good at the natural face. Here are the products I used, and love. Apologies for picture quality - I am using an iphone, and took these in a bit of a rush. There are no pictures at the end of my whole face, as I am trying to keep my face off the radar for now through student teaching and job hunting, this is more a big set of product recommendations.

The Porefessional: One of the best face primers, one I turn to regularly.

Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream: Has spf 35, solid coverage, but not as heavy as plain foundation. I strongly prefer BB creams, and usually prefer Asian ones, but this came in a set and matches my more tan skin tone of summer and I actually like it a lot.

Bobbi Brown Corrector: I have hereditary dark circles you wouldn't believe, and this cancels out the blue.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer: I like to mix drugstore and high end products - this one gets a lot of hype on youtube, and for pretty good reason. It is thinner in texture, covers well, and layers over the corrector well.

Nars Cream Blush in Penny Lane: This is the most subtle rose pink I own, and it is cream to powder. I put it underneath powder usually, as it starts out as cream, but also so the powder can blend it out. This is my go-to subtle blush that looks perfect and natural on me every time.It is well loved, as you can see.

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders in Dim Light and Luminous Light: I LOVE the Hourglass powders. But at over fifty bucks a pop, they are a huge splurge. But, they are gorgeous. I have foresaken all other setting powders, instead using Dim Light. The day I met my teacher, it was pouring rain and cloudy. Normally I would never use shimmery face products when I want to look subtle but the sparkle in Luminous Light is so fine, that I added a little to my cheekbones and forehead to prevent sallowness. Resisting buying the bronzer-like shade of this is tough for me, particularly during Sephora F&F sales.

Rimmel Natural Bronzer: I use the lightest shade, as I am NOT a big bronzer user. Only this year have I really started appreciating it, particularly matte bronzer. I contour using a more cool toned brown shade, but did not want a contour so much as a glow on the rainy day. I took just the slightest touch of this to give just a little warmth, as I am still a bit of a bronzer-phobe. 


Maybelline Color Tattoo in Beige-ing Beauty: I love this product - I have yet to find a high end brand that does a better job. I only wish they didn't release so many limited edition collections I can't get my hands on. This has a lot of sparkle, but is in a nude shade, so it doesn't look too over the top. I think light shimmer on the eyes in very neutral shades looks put together and beautiful, visible yet not over the top. 

Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow in Rose Gold: To tone down the sparkle, I layered this soft pink that is "shimmery", but I would not exactly call it shimmer. The shimmer is more like a sheen, not so much sparkle. Mixed with the beige, it doesn't look too brown or pink. Pink shades tend to give a lot of life to my face, and this past year and a half I have become a big fan.

Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette, shade Nooner: I love this palette. Trick is my favorite shadow in it, but it was just too bright for a professional look in my opinion. I have only in the past six months started using matte shadows in the crease on days I am doing a more toned down look (otherwise, I don't care if my eyes look like two disco balls, I love shimmer and sparkle!), and Nooner is browner than the other matte in this palette, Limit, though it is darker. Limit tends to make me look a bit red in the eyes when I am doing natural eyes, so a light dusting of Nooner is perfect.

Lancome Eyeshadow in Laced Up: This was a gift from a friend, and it is a flesh toned peach on me that makes a great under the brow color when I don't want to highlight exactly, but to even out the skin tone a little and bring a little brightness.


Anastasia Brow Wiz Pencil: I prefer pencil to powder when I am going for a lighter, but still filled in brow look. Brow powder, for me, always results in a bit stronger color payoff that looks good, but I didn't want to overdo. 

Kevin Aucoin Curling Mascara: I got this in a Glossybox, and I enjoy it. It is black, but is definitely not a dark black - it actually looks more gray straight out of the tube. 

Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Underground: This shade is a medium brown shade that isn't dark and is slightly on the cool side, so it defines, but is impossible to be harsh. It is my go-to "subtle" liner.

Maybelline Color Elixir in Caramel Infused: Lip products are some of the best to get from the drugstore. This is super balmy and comfortable to wear, and looks tan in the tube, but shows up on me as a brown mixed with pink, so it is very neutral. It is shiny but not shimmery, and the shine dies down after about a half hour to become a more natural sheen.


No comments:

Post a Comment