Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Hello, my name is Leah. I am...

...looking for a change.

So many women my age seem to be in this state of transition I appear to feel stuck in, have been stuck in for years, but only just noticed. Most of my friends are married, many of the ones who are not will be soon. Many of my friends are 5+ years into a successful career, despite the economy making that rather difficult for most of my graduating class. With these two things, they are moderately secure, financially and socially. These are the people who at least appear to have successfully navigated the transition from lost 20something to adult. Then there are the rest of us.

I recently broke up with the man I really thought I might spend the rest of my life with. However, things have a way of working out for the better when it comes to these things. I currently have a profile on a popular online dating site, OkCupid, on which I have had success in the past. Some days that fact fills my heart with excitement of the possibilities...and others it makes me lose all hope in humanity. Seriously, anyone who has done the online dating thing knows exactly what I am talking about. (No really - just google "okcupid fails" and like a shitton of sites come up documenting the insanity that is online dating. Here is just one example if you needed any more proof: http://deadcupid.tumblr.com/ )

I am about to break into a new career field, having never really established a career after college to begin with. As it turns out, when the economy shits the bed and the jobs start getting scarce, having a Bachelor's in Animal Behavior isn't particularly helpful. I worked in the animal care field until realizing I wouldn't be able to feed myself AND my cats with that money (very important for a single lady, you know, as we apparently are required to have some cats). Now, I am finishing up my certification in Early Childhood Education from a small PA school, because finding a teaching position is also rather difficult, but at least when you get one you AND your cats can afford to eat.

I am 29 years old, and I feel nearly as lost as when I was 22, though I am a slightly better cook now. But with student teaching this fall, dating new people for the first time in four years, I am ready for some other changes too. Baby steps like cooking things, organizing my apartment so it looks like a home, and developing my skills as a new teacher. So this blog is for me, documenting some of the changes that are happening and will be happening soon, changes I know have been happening for years now without my notice. And talking about things I like, like tea, and makeup, and animals, and whatever else I like. If you are here reading all this, I hope you enjoy. Or, I am sorry, depending on how interesting my dating life has become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment