Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving Cranberry Sauce

Happy Thanksgiving internet world!!

I am pleased to report that I am prepped and ready to go to Thanksgiving dinner in a few hours. Wine was purchased, and I made cranberry sauce as my contribution. I am celebrating with my friends Katie and Joe this year, and I am so glad they decided to open up their table. There will be lots of other people there, so it should be a super social and lovely time.

Cranberry sauce might be my favorite part of the holiday meal, which is amazing because it is so easy to make. Inexpensive, too. Because there will be 14 at dinner, I made a medium sized pot's worth, which took 3 bags of cranberries. At two dollars a bag, and the price of two cups of sugar, it is a delicious contribution that won't break the bank.

First, put one cup of water in the pot for every bag of cranberries you intend to use. The Oceanspray recipe also calls for a cup of sugar per bag. I do not do this. I prefer my sauce to be more tart, a hair healthier, and more runny/juicy, and I only put in 2/3 of a cup per bag. So this batch of 3 bags called for 3 cups of water and 2 cups of white sugar. Bring these to a boil.


Then, add the rinsed cranberries. Bring the mixture to a boil again. It is hard to tell when it is boiling again, but you will hear the berries starting to pop. Then, boil it for 10-15 minutes. I like my berries to be mostly popped and smushy so I will even cover it partially to help facilitate this.



When it is done, mine looks like this. Cover it and let it cool at room temp...or let it cool at room temp for a couple hours and then put it in the fridge like I did.


The next morning...


...deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment